Information about the micro:bit Python Editor
The Python Editor is a free, browser based coding environment for creating MicroPython projects with the BBC micro:bit.
Use common snippets of code, add/remove files and modules, and upload/download .hex or .py files.
The Python editor is based upon the Ace editor and includes syntax highlighting, code folding and (semi) intelligent auto-indentation.
The upstream source code for the Python Editor can be found at github.com/bbcmicrobit/PythonEditor
The micro:bit target depends a closed source versioning repository that facilitates releases at
/v/, for example the beta editor https://python.microbit.org/v/beta and previous releases.
It is possible to use the Python Editor offline to generate, upload and download .hex or .py files. However, refreshing the browser resets the editor.
- MicroPython reference provides information and examples on using the blocks
- Developer setup
- Translation strategy
- Embedding the editor
There are a variety of ways to get involved and interact:
- Join the micro:bit developer community on Slack
- Raise a Python Editor issue or feature request
- Ask a question on the MicroPython forum for micro:bit
- Help Translate the Python Editor into your own language.